The Race

Today was the big day. A big one! Today was the race, today was my time, it has to be today… Today. Static electricity buzzes through me, my eyes flicker with pure energy.

It was the day that I could beat Sarah Wood, the fastest runner in 8th grade the winner in swimming competitions, athletic competitions, fashion shows, she was even on the news once. It’s ridiculous! She’s just too perfect, I bet instead of blood in her body it’s just gooey pink perfectness that tastes like rainbows. Everybody admires her except me, ever since we were young we’ve been at a never ending war in competitions but she always came out as a star, even in my mothers eyes… It’s unbelievable that she always gets into the finals of everything!, I’m serious give other people a chance to actually see what the finals can be like, no matter what Sarah is chosen for everything, sports, music, school. Did I mention she’s a straight A student and a teachers pet?

Anyways today is the running race, I’ve been training for three months now and my hopes are high in the sky to win. I can already feel the presence of Sarah adjacent to me giving me a dirty look. “Get ready to lose Amy.” She says with a sly, evil grin. It’s taking my every strength not to rip that cheesy grin off her face. I grit my teeth and ignore her obnoxious comment. “Girls please.” I hear the referee announce. “She started it.” she snorts. “On your mark,” he continues, Time seems to freeze as I hear the dramatic thump of my beating heart, I’m sweating already although the race hasn’t even started. “Go!” he shouts but before I can take my first step I tumble forwards realizing Sarah had tied my shoelaces together. The shock almost brings tears to my eyes, the whole race is laughing at who? Me. I even catch the referee grin and giggle. I go into my own world, tuning out from the terror in the real world. I picture my dad and me sitting in our favorite spot where the dandelions grew, counting each individual one. “1,2,3,4,5,6… ” we’d chime. Not only did we have great times but he was the best dad I could ever have. Until, my Mother decided he was too ‘childish’ and divorced him. I never understood love, but I know that probably the reason of the divorce.

I snap back into reality and Sarah’s snobby face is chuckling infront of me. “She just doesn’t belong here!” She laughs.

“Shut your faces!” I snap back.

“Excuse me? What did you say little brat?”

” Your just a mean, selfish, evil little girl who is too bored with her own miserable life so she decides to ruin someone else’s!”

The next minutes were a bit of a blur. All I can remember is fists and pain… When I finally wake I’m in the nurse’s office who’s holding an ice pack on my eye. “Ah your awake, perfect time to take your medicine.”

“What happened?” I stammer still half asleep.

“Well you got into a bit of a fight, You said something then she got mad at you and threw the first punch at I think you know how that all ended up.”

I hear a knock at the door to see someone I probably should’ve expected. The principal Mrs. Brooks. “Hello Amy, I’d like to have a little chat.” She says as I see Sarah peek around the corner. I’d could tell by the tone this wasn’t going to be a lirrle chat.